Tuesday

Brooklyn Laundry: Escape to Thailand

Photo by Adam Cathro

For my hot mama’s birthday this year, my brother Nick and I decided to take her out for dinner—while taking her out of her element. I’ve known about Brooklyn Laundry for a few years, but I knew this occasion would be the perfect time to try it out. My (all too) frequent visits to my favorite bar, Botanica, resulted in a nice friendship with bartender/ creative culinary master/ Americana folk musician, Fiore Tedesco, who started BL with the intention of creating a “spirited farm to table catering service, specializing in seasonal and sustainable food and events”. When I received the invitation to the BL dinner inspired by Fiore’s honeymoon in Thailand, hosted in a beautiful apartment with a roof-deck on the Lower East Side, I knew my worldly eco-chic mother would be as excited about it as much as I was.

Two words: Great Success!

The food. Was. Unbelievable. Tomato salad in red curry sauce, local blue crab and coconut gelée ravioli, a twist on spicy peanut noodles, and a sticky rice desert with coconut gelato were my favorite parts of the 6 course meal, paired all the way through with organic wines.

And lets not forget about the company; the dinner party had 15 guests, a perfect number for my brother, mom, and me to mingle and engage in intimate conversation. I was thrilled to meet Ben Flanner, the Brooklyn rooftop farmer I recently read about in New York Magazine (whose farm supplied the fresh produce for the evening), Abena Koomson, currently performing in Bill T Jones’ broadway show Fela, and Gabrielle Mendola, owner of the Inizii boutique in Brooklyn.

Nick, mama, and I thoroughly enjoyed the dinner- as an alternative social and culinary experience. I recommend Brooklyn Laundry to anyone who has something special to celebrate, or to those who are simply looking for a different kind of dinner. I am anxiously awaiting the next invite… I’ve heard it’s inspired by Hemmingway’s A Moveable Feast!

Read more about BL in Daily Candy's review!

6 comments:

Rex Arrow said...

This is a pretty great gift for Momma Bakshi.

Jules said...

Thanks Rex, I sure hope she thought so!

Jenny said...

It was a most delicious and memorable gift. Longer lasting is the gift of words like "worldly eco-chic mother".
Thank you darling girl!

Unknown said...

Thanks Chica for the plug in and it was most pleasurable meeting you and your family!!!

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules said...

It was great meeting you too Gabby! I hope to make it out to the boutique soon!