Monday

Not All Who Wander are Lost: Delhi, India

Namaste from Delhi, where I am here taking care of my grandparents (Dadiji and Dadima), whose home in the mountains was almost completely knocked down last week by a landslide. They are fine, though Dadaji's asthma is sometimes debilitating in the rain, and most likely their mountain home (where they live during the Delhi summer) will make it through the end of this year's late and disastrous monsoon. That being said, my Indian grandmother has much much more pressing concerns, such as my imminent spinsterhood. It's true kids. In her humble opinion, 23 is pushing the limit of marriageability, and the simple facts that I have a career as a dancer (immodest!), have held hands with (lets not even get into dating) more than one man (gasp!), and I don't live with my parents (licentious!) paints a pretty bleak picture of my future in her mind. Sometimes I get a gust of strength and courage and prepare long speeches about the empowerment of women and how times have changed, how I may not even WANT to get married (god forbid) and all the reasons why her fears are just downright ridiculous. But then I imagine the perplexed and hurt look in her eyes, her dreams for me shattered, and I just shrug and say "you're right Dadima" and smile reassuringly. In honor of my Dadima, I am posting these lovely videos from what looks like a dream wedding: simple, beautiful, personal, and creative(also I am in love with the Beach House song from the second vid). It's clearly missing Panjabi classics like the groom on a horse and the dhol drummers procession, which I wouldn't miss out on for the world- but other than that, IF and when I ever decide to get married, I think something like this would be worthy of all of Dadima's nights spent worrying.

Max, Margaux, & The Marvelows from Shark Pig on Vimeo.

Max & Margaux from Shark Pig on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I absolutely love you to death JB, and will marry you as soon as it's seriously legal. Come home soon.