Thursday

The cloud came in




Read more here.One of my favorite stories about traveling in India is from my trip with Sarah and Olivia in 2005. We were in Raniket, a hill-station in the Himalayas, where my Uncle Bunty and Aunt Bindu have a beautiful house made of stone. In the daytime, you look out over the mountains and are instantly awed by the view. Then, the sun comes out and you realize that what you were seeing before were mere foothills, and that the crisp white peaks towering much, much, higher--the ones you thought were clouds in the fog, are the real mountains. One night, when Sarah, Olivia, my cousin Devika and I were getting ready for bed, a white ghost floated into the room through the window. We stared at it in awe, feeling chilled by its presence. After a few moments of stillness and utter disorientation, Devika shouted "it's a cloud!". Of course! It's only a cloud that just floated into our bedroom, how could we have been so silly. Wait a CLOUD JUST FLOATED INTO OUR BEDROOM?!?!?! It was almost as unbelievable as the ghost idea! As the cloud floated across the room out and out through the opposite windows, I had the feeling I had just seen something I might never see again. However, apparently now inside-clouds are on public display, ever since architect Testuo Kondo got a team of scientists to MAKE A CLOUD inside his building!

No comments: