Monday

Art out of Light






In the fall of 2008 Eric and I went to the Guggenheim to see the Louise Bourgeois exhibit there. Whether it was the rain, or my aching knees, or just another bout of hanger- on our way out I was impatient and was not particularly interested in the Jenny Holzer exhibit For the Guggenheim, being projected on the museum's exterior walls. It's funny how two years later, on a Monday afternoon, I was struck by what an absolutely beautiful and terrifying concept it is to make art out of light. I looked through her massive portfolio, which spans across continents as well as content: from famous poetry to her own prose, from truisms to dadaist musings. How I could have walked away from these beautiful words being hurled onto the walls of my city escapes me. I hope that by the next time I come across her work I will have mastered the art of "be here now" enough to be able to appreciate it in the moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

realization that something is important sometimes comes very late. The hope is always tht it is not too late. Let's do the bicycle dance!!!!

gary 'biker' sanderson

Jules said...

So true Gary! Thanks for the encouragement. And yes, let's make the bicycle dance- I am brainstorming ideas at this very moment!