Tuesday

First Snow Song


For the month of December, I was invited to choreograph a piece for the dance company at Montclair High School, my alma mater. Not only is it an absolute joy to work with such enthusiastic and talented young people, it is really lovely for me to get a break from the city and travel 12 miles west to my home town. Montclair is a beautiful place in any season, and when I arrived at my parents' house and found the lawn dusted with snow I felt my heart begin to tingle with holiday spirit for the first time this winter. Supposedly, NYC had some flurries on Sunday, but all I saw was dark slushey puddles. Sometimes in the city, due to lack of trees and other natural signals one receives in the suburbs, I can only really tell the season by the increase in wind and, of course, the sparkly upscale window displays. I hate to admit that for the last four years, I've been so wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of city life that my parents had to call me and remind me to come home! This pretty winter video for Ra Ra Riot's "Can You Tell" brought me back to the long, restful, friend & family filled holiday seasons of my years in the 'burbs. As it should be, if you ask me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS SONG!!! And the vid reminds me so much of winter breaks in Montclair.

Jules said...

I just got an email from BAM telling me they will be playing at Howard Gillman Opera house on Feb 5th! I'm going fo sho.

Jenny said...

Beautiful music, beautiful words, beautiful winter night, beautiful people, Thank you for sharing this Jules!