Friday

My Motley Family Xmas

My family is a motley crew of Hindus, Unitarians, Buddhists, Jews, one Muslim and one Catholic. Every year since I can remember we get together at Christmas to celebrate family and friendship. On Christmas eve we have a poetry reading, where we sit around the fire and take turns reading classic children's poems that my grandparents grew up with,  pithy contemporary poets, and everything in between (there are often original poems, occasionally a rap, and sometimes even a dramatic interpretation of scene from Braveheart!).

Afterwards, we eat spaghetti with "critter sauce" a tomato based seafood curry, and when everyone 
has had some time to digest, we bring out the musical instruments. The jam session is usually my favorite part of the festivities--everyone grabs a drum, guitar, or even a book to bang on. Some of us are more musically gifted than others, but the spirit of it isn't really about how we sound. We sing Bob Dylan, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, Joe Purdy, and The Stones, and when we don't know the lyrics we make them up as we go along. I'm sure we're quite a sight to behold, but I never feel so warm and cozy in my home as I do when this motley festive bunch comes together. 
Plus behind the scenes footage from Xmas Jam Sesh 2009! Harharhar.

1 comment:

Devika said...

I love this.
I miss this.