Sunday

Choque Urbano


Soooo I've been in Buenos Aires for 5 days and I already feel saturated with Argentine culture. I came to BA for the first time exactly a year ago for two weeks and had the time of my life, so this time I've decided to escape the sticky heat of NYC and spend the month of August here. Being able to work freelance from my laptop when I'm not dancing or performing is key, but its hard for me not to want to spring out of bed each day and sightsee and tango and stuff my face with steak and ginormous root vegetables. The good thing is, Buenos Aires is VERY much a night culture, so I can work during the day and explore the city at night. So far I've been to an awesome tango lesson at a big old funky tango bar/ warehouse called La Catedral, attended an asado, or barbecue with some super friendly locals (barbeque takes on an entirely different meaning here, FYI... no flimsy burgers and hotdogs), walked around the cobblestone streets of the super chic neighborhood Palermo Soho, and eaten more meat than I usually do in a month. All wonderful. So imagine my bliss when yesterday my BFFAE Sarah DH and her boyfriend Danny arrived in BA to join me and my favorite Argentine for a week of adventures. Last night we went to see “Baila!” the new show by Choque Urbano or "Urban Crash" a popular performance company. I had heard great things, and when I finally got to experience the dancing and drumming explosion myself, I was enthralled. Dancers and drummers creating a techno underworld on stage? Hello my fantasy.

No comments: