Thursday

Throw Back: The Gully

Ever since I was a little girl I have been passionate about the environment. Fern Gully was my favorite movie, and when the town bad guy Stealin Plotsker* came to cut down the woods behind my home (tree-house and all) to develop a complex of condominiums I was devastated. Secretly relishing the idea of saving my own forest, I went out there with my can of (eco- friendly) paint and sprayed green over all the red 'X's he had put on the trees he planned to cut down. My mother and father banded together with our neighborhood to petition against the development, and, although my tree-house still got the ax, we were spared a few trees and instead of the condos, he just built three McMansions. 

 Recently, in Duane Reade of all places, I was thrown back to those glorious days of playing outside in my magical woods when, at the register, I came face to face with a copy of Fern Gully on DVD! Of course I bought it, and commenced watching my old time fave as soon as I got back to my apartment. Here is a clip for you in case you need a reminder of just how awesome and relevant this movie was and still is:

 YouTube - ferngully pt 6

*Name has been changed to protect the identity of this man, who happens to be married to a very successful makeup mogul.

2 comments:

S. Cali said...

Wait, did you hear about Stealin* ramming into someone's car and then just driving off?

I LOVED FERN GULLY, TOO. You're kind of rocking her hairstyle right now.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.