Saturday

A Sad Day






Today I am disappointed and deeply sad. It's been 32 days and the explosion that caused the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is still wildly out of control. At least 6 million gallons of oil have been released into the gulf, and reports say that attempts to plug the gushing leak with mud wont be made until Tuesday.

For better or for worse, after the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska, laws were passed to hold oil companies completely accountable for cleanup (including all expenses) in case of similar disasters. Call me paranoid, but I have to ask how much of these expenses include BP's efforts to downplay the dangerous facts to the public. Unlike the 1989 spill, the BP oil rig that is leaking today does not contain a finite oil supply, and will keep pouring oil into the ocean until it is plugged. I only fear that the severity of this disaster is much greater than we are necessarily being told, and that in addition to an oceanic cleanup, there is imminent threat of groundwater contamination (already marshes have been contaminated in Louisiana) and permanent damage to the region's eco-system.

These eerily beautiful images have made a deep impression on me, and today my only hope is that from this tragedy, our government and big businesses will understand the urgency of making changes to prevent the outright destruction of the environment.

All images from Huffington Post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( what a pathetic state of affairs.

Catie said...

Devastating. I watch it on the news every morning and feel really helpless. Jules if you find any ways to help, big or small...let me know! I'm always looking for opportunities to involve my students in the world around them and to be active citizens. This spill is going to affect THEIR future so they should definitely take action NOW.
Miss you! xx

Jules said...

Hi Catie! I feel the same way, it's so frustrating. I will certainly look into opportunities to get involved, but I have a feeling any outreach we would be able to get involved with will be helping communities that are affected... dealing with local environmental issues etc. I honestly have no idea how BP plans to contain/ handle the aftereffects. If I find out more I will absolutely keep you posted.