Monday

The Birthday Girl

Carly, Sarah, and Devon made this... with their hands!
On the pre-surprise walk to what I thought was a quiet din @ Vinegar Hill House
Joy and Merriment

When I was a little girl, my teacher asked me what my favorite holiday was and I told her, "My birthday!". "My birthday" was also my favorite game, and I frequently made my mom and friends play birthday party with me. For my actual birthdays, my mom would always think up the most amazing themes...I mean, she really went all out.

For my ninth birthday, we had a glow- in -the- dark party, where she replaced all the light bulbs in our basement with black-light bulbs and we covered the ceiling with glow -in -the- dark stars and planets. She wound neon strings with all the guests names attached in a web on the basement floor, each one leading to a surprise somewhere in the intergalactic glowing world she had created. Up until this past weekend, that birthday party was my favorite.

This year, I got annoyed when my family and friends were flaky about making plans. Being the antsy Nancy that I am, I decided to throw myself an Alice in Wonderland themed Mad Hatter's Tea Party at my apartment. I couldn't just let my special day go by unnoticed, could I?!?!?

People brought beautiful desserts, pretty drinks, wore hats and tea party dresses, and I, for the first time in my life- went blonde as Alice. Besides two sets of pissed off neighbors, the party was a GREAT success.

I felt really good about my party, but couldn't help feeling a tiny bit sad that my family, and even some of my best friends hadn't shown.

Fast forward past my hangover to Sunday evening, which Rex had asked me to set aside for us to have a nice quiet birthday dinner together. Of course I was looking forward to it.

To make a really long amazingly intricate story v. short- the next thing I know I am being ushered into a tiny log-cabin-esque room in my favorite restaurant (Vinegar Hill House) and there, bathed in warm light...

My entire family and my closest friends.

For a half a second, I thought I was in heaven. Then I was in shock and awe. Then I realized that all these wonderfully patient secret keepers had been scheming on me while listening to me whine for the past two weeks about my family's lack of attention to my big day. And then, I was just blissful. Because as phenomenal as my big bash was... I am never happier than when I'm surrounded by my family, the friends who are a part of my family, and of course--wholesome, delicious food.

In my 23 years, I can say with certainty that this was the best birthday weekend I've had. Thank you so much to my friends, family, and especially to Rex, for making my birthday wishes all come true <3

5 comments:

Elisa Davis said...

so glad you had such a fun party weekend! sorry I couldn't make the vinegar hill surprise- I was performing with Ilana but would have loved to have shared the slice of heaven with you :)

Jules said...

No Sorry! I'm just so glad I got tot see you in your tea party dress!

Anonymous said...

That fruit tarte is so beautiful, you've got talented friends!

Elise said...

"Let's Play My Birthday" is my favorite Julie story ever. I wish I was there to play it with you!

Unknown said...

I am sorry I wasn't there to celebrate in your best birthday ever. ( I was in Buffalo working)

BUT---isn't it funny that when you least expect it the best things happen. This was the story with my 16th birthday. No one was planning anything... but in the end my family and friends ended up throwing me a surprise party at home. It was simple and beautiful... it was the best. I felt so loved and i will never forget it.

I am so Happy your day and your weekend was just as special.

Love,

Another Antsy Nancy