Wednesday

Last Night's Steak Success



photo by: Misha Gravenor for Epicurious

Last night I was craving red meat. I hardly eat it at all, so when I crave it, I take that as a sign from my body that I need some iron and protein in juicy meat form. Jake and Rex were coming for dinner, and I had to find a recipe that these two picky eaters could enjoy. They both love steak, so when I found this simple, quick recipe on Epicurious I knew it would be a hit. The recipe was for two, so I just added one more piece of steak, and a tiny bit more shallot and butter, everything else was fine proportionally. It only took twenty minutes to make! The Epi recipe calls for brown sugar in the balsamic reduction, but the shallots caramelized beautifully without it and I'd rather not add sugar to my food if I can help it. Needless to say we all thoroughly enjoyed the meal, which was enhanced with a full bodied red from Jake and some Époisses de Bourgogne cheese and baguette from Rex. Mmmmm.

Steak with Parmesan Butter, Balsamic Glaze, and Arugula
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese plus Parmesan cheese shavings
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 1 12-ounce rib-eye steak
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
  • 4 cups (lightly packed) arugula
  • 2 large lemon wedges

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog and appreciate the green quality in the products you present. I am writing to introduce you to our beautifully designed hand made clocks created with vintage upcycled 16mm film and reels. We think they will be of interest to you and your readers.

http://movietimeclocks.etsy.com

Best regards,

Kathy Mayer
movietimeclocks@gmail.com
479-287-1014

Unknown said...

We are on the same page with this one, majorly. I have so been craving meat recently too. Case in point; I bought peppered salami from the supermarket on Monday and finished Danny's cheeseburger tonight. RAWR.

Jules said...

Three words. Maple. Glazed. Bacon.