Thursday

On A Roll

Trying to get support to produce my own choreographic work is a daunting task. For a year I applied for everything. It wasn't working out. I almost gave up.  And then my luck changed and the support came pouring in. Isn't that how it always happens? Yesterday I started rehearsals for my newest piece Londonderry, inspired by the historical figure Annie Londonderry and the role of bicycles in women's liberation. I am working with 3 brilliant dancers and I feel great about what we've been able to accomplish in our first two days. We're on a roll!

 Ha! Sorry, I had to.

Anyway. Aren't these bikes amazing? The ones with the big wheel are called Penny Farthings and my very own grandpa collects and RIDES them! I'm hoping I can use one or two as set pieces in the first production of the piece at the Dumbo Dance Festival on September 29th. 

Images from wikipedia, X-Treme X-Training, and  Shelly's Blog

3 comments:

RthrBdancn said...

What a beautiful entry. The pictures are indeed inspiring and provide a perfect choreographic opportunity. I am so glad to hear that THEY are finally starting to notice what a formidable talent you have, my darling petunia.

Jules said...

Aww maman. I luff!

Indonesian Furniture said...

that is a beautiful picture